Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Cheras Pasar Malam

Here it is. The place I've longed to go...

This is why i am here. This is the reason why I go Cheras, not because of wanting to pay a visit to my old friend nor interested in UCSI. (I wish my old friend don't know this, I don't want her to treat me eat "chou tou fu")








The Cheras Night Market.

It's said to be the longest pasar malam in Malaysia.
Can you see the end of it? (Don't tell me you can, because I myself cannot)

Well, the mission I am here is to eat and eat and eat. Nothing else.




The toufu bakar is delicious. The crispy toufu bakar, the hard-to-chew dried squid, together with the little-spicy sauce make a wonderful snack.

Oh.... There is some crispy looking yellow pieces in the picture, right?
Well, to be honest, I can't remember what is it already. Forgive me, for, I have Alzheimer's.






Okay, there is no point for me to narrate out what I had eaten. It'll bring you to sleep in front of your computer. Lets go straight to the point.

Among all the food that I have tasted in the pasar malam. The most unforgettable one will be the "Chow Toufu". Smell the aroma thousand miles away.....

The stench fills your nostrils the moment you are in 100m (or more) radius away.
The weird thing is that many will search for the source of that horrible smell and QUEUE UP to buy "Chou Toufu".

Driven by curiosity and mostly my silliness, I join the crowd.
The moment I am struggling whether to buy the "Chou Tou fu" or not, the one queueing in front of me turn to me and said:

"It really smells horrible. The first time I tasted it, I even vomited. But I mastered my courage to taste it the second time, and I love it. So next time when I smell the busuk aroma, I will search for it and not running away from it."

What's so special about that smelly toufu that makes people so crazy about it?
I finally buy 4 pieces of that smelly toufu and try on them. It is best eaten with some kimchi, that is what i was told.
So, I put a lot of kimchi on the smelly toufu, wishing to cover the stinking smell and EAT it...

MY GOODNESS......!!!
I can't believe this.
It is just so....
I can't find a word to describe it....

It tastes so so so LONGKANG (drain, in Malay)!
Okay, okay... We can never taste longkang, right?
So lets put it in another way.

Hmmmm..... It is just like eating a tasteless toufu in a real stink monsoon drain with all the decomposing carcasses of animals and mountains of rubbish around.

Pooh!! The smell so overwhelming! Imagine that.

I fought the very strong urge to spit it out, partly because of I believe in what people said, "try it the second time and you will love it," and mainly because I'm eating a 60 cents smelly toufu.
I swallow it, together with the "longkang" smell.

Now, I feel that my stomach, my intestine, my body smells bad. I start to wonder will it smell that bad also when I break wind???

What happen next is a series of torturing scenes of me trying to stuff the smelly thing into my mouth and swallow it.




Eventually, I toss the last piece (60 cents) into the rubbish bin
here,
in front of the UCSI campus.

I hope that the campus will not fill with the stench.





Because of the ugly taste which pollute my tongue just now, I buy the ice cream from 100 yen to clear it away. So as to neutralise the awful taste just now.

I just love it! (I mean the ice cream).
Yum yum.....
The sweet coffee taste fills all your taste buds the moment it melts in your mouth.
I feel so much better. :)













Since the next day is the Dragon boat festival, dumplings is a must-eat.




Oh, ya...
Try the Chou Toufu next time and you will know what I mean. ( Only if you dare)
Fear Factor challenge...

2 comments:

Crazy Gal said...

Oh my poor darling... The chou tofu is a delicacy you know? Must eat.. I belanja you next time, ok?

Tze Hui @ Erin said...

hey is this bee shuang? took me quite a while to guess le... haha will try the chou tofu one day and we can exchange notes :)